- how to prepare a variety of foods
- read and understand standardized recipes
- the proper use of knives and kitchen equipment
- how to keep food safe by practicing sanitation
- how to prevent kitchen accidents
Skills required for the class include reading and basic math. Throughout the course, students develop skills, such as working as a team, critical thinking, planning and organizing work, and decision making. Students learn how to cook for themselves, make healthy choices, and be able to plan and prepare meals.